Floating Button
Home News Banking & finance

First Abu Dhabi Bank explored offer for Standard Chartered

Bloomberg
Bloomberg • 6 min read
First Abu Dhabi Bank explored offer for Standard Chartered
The Abu Dhabi bank had been considering a full takeover of Standard Chartered, according to people familiar with the matter. Photo: Bloomberg
Font Resizer
Share to Whatsapp
Share to Facebook
Share to LinkedIn
Scroll to top
Follow us on Facebook and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.
Add as a preferred source on Google

First Abu Dhabi Bank PJSC said it explored a potential bid for Standard Chartered Plc, in what would have been a complex deal aimed at building an emerging markets lender with more than US$1 trillion ($1.34 trillion) of assets.

The Middle East’s largest bank was previously in the “very early stages of evaluating a possible offer for Standard Chartered” but is no longer doing so, it said in a regulatory filing Thursday. Bloomberg News reported earlier that FAB had been assessing Standard Chartered for more than six months as it considered a potential bid for the London-based lender.

The Abu Dhabi bank had been considering a full takeover of Standard Chartered, according to people familiar with the matter. FAB, as the firm is known, had been working with advisers though no formal approach had been made, the people said, declining to be identified as the deliberations are private.

×
The Edge Singapore
Download The Edge Singapore App
Google playApple store play
Keep updated
Follow our social media
© 2026 The Edge Publishing Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.