Floating Button
Home News US Economy

Trump to halt New York City congestion pricing by terminating approval

Bloomberg
Bloomberg • 6 min read
Trump to halt New York City congestion pricing by terminating approval
Photo: Bloomberg
Font Resizer
Share to Whatsapp
Share to Facebook
Share to LinkedIn
Scroll to top
Follow us on Facebook and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.
Add as a preferred source on Google

The Trump administration is moving to block New York City’s congestion pricing program, reversing a federal approval granted last year and setting up a legal showdown over the tolling initiative.

The Federal Highway Administration plans to withdraw its agreement with the state-run Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which allowed the agency to impose tolls on drivers entering some of Manhattan’s busiest streets, US Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement on Wednesday. The decision will likely halt the program, which began operating just last month.

“New York State’s congestion pricing plan is a slap in the face to working class Americans and small business owners,” Duffy said in a statement. “Every American should be able to access New York City regardless of their economic means. It shouldn’t be reserved for an elite few.”

×
The Edge Singapore
Download The Edge Singapore App
Google playApple store play
Keep updated
Follow our social media
© 2026 The Edge Publishing Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.