Floating Button
Home News Global Economy

Trump declares US-China trade war, Bessent floats long truce

Daniel Flatley and Jennifer A. Dlouhy / Bloomberg
Daniel Flatley and Jennifer A. Dlouhy / Bloomberg • 5 min read
Trump declares US-China trade war, Bessent floats long truce
“We have a 100% tariff. If we didn’t have tariffs, we would be exposed as being a nothing," says Trump / Photo: Bloomberg
Font Resizer
Share to Whatsapp
Share to Facebook
Share to LinkedIn
Scroll to top
Follow us on Facebook and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.
Add as a preferred source on Google

President Donald Trump said he saw the US as locked in a trade war with China, even as Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent proposed a longer pause on high tariffs on Chinese goods to resolve a conflict over critical minerals.

“Well, you’re in one now,” Trump said Wednesday when asked by a reporter if the world’s two largest economies are in for a sustained trade war if they cannot reach a trade deal. “We have a 100% tariff. If we didn’t have tariffs, we would be exposed as being a nothing.”

Trump spoke just hours after Bessent dangled the possibility of extending a pause of import duties on Chinese goods for longer than three months if China halts its plan for strict new export controls on rare-earth elements. The US and China have agreed to a series of 90-day truces since earlier this year, with the next deadline looming in November.

×
The Edge Singapore
Download The Edge Singapore App
Google playApple store play
Keep updated
Follow our social media
© 2026 The Edge Publishing Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.